Sulphur-Crested cockatoos are large white parrots with yellow feathers on their crest (hence the name Sulpher-crested) and yellow wash under their wings. It is quite difficult to distinguish male from female Cockatoos at a distance as they look remarkably similar. The only major difference is that females have red-brown eyes, whereas males have darker brown eyes. Then again… you might have to rethink whether getting exceedingly close to a Cockatoo is worth it as it may decide to peck you with their impressive beaks!
There’s no doubt that Sulphur Crested Cockatoo is immensely popular as a pet parrot and one of the goofiest of the many cockatoo breeds. These robust, loud and unique parrots have strong personalities, and you’ll certainly find that out for yourself. With their vibrant, bubbly, and sociable behavior, these parrots can prove to be challenging pets. That’s why they will fit perfectly with owners who have a friendly and energetic personality as well. But with just a little bit of patience and understanding, every owner can and will fall in love with these big goofs. Let’s meet the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo.
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo Temperament
These birds are absolute clowns when it comes to personality. Jovial, fun-loving, and gregarious, they can become a handful because of their constant craving for their owner’s attention. They can also be rather loud, so you’d either need to place them in a sound-proofed room or have very considerate neighbors. They also tend to get overly attached to one person, which might lead to aggressive behavior towards others.
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos are considered the most intelligent of parrots by pet enthusiasts. They have a 1 to 2-year-old human child’s learning capacity and are capable of being taught to speak words and phrases.
Caring for the Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo
Sulphur-crested cockatoos are large birds that need very spacious enclosures. The cage should have a footprint of about 40 inches by 40 inches and at least 5 feet tall at a minimum. A bigger cage is better, and best of all is an aviary environment.
The water and food dishes in the cage need to be replaced daily with clean ones. Complete disinfection of the cage needs to be carried out every other month. Replace the chewed-up toys from time to time as well.
The nails and beak should be clipped at regular intervals, or else they’d get too large and may cause injury to the owner. Clip the feathers as well to ensure your cockatoo does not fly away through an open window. Clip the feathers just enough to make sure they glide to the ground and not fall to it.
Diet and Nutrition
Sulphur-crested cockatoos Feed on a varied diet that includes high-quality pellets and fresh fruits and vegetables.
Experienced owners of sulphur-crested cockatoos take great care in preparing their birds’ diets, as cockatoos can quickly suffer from the effects of poor nutrition.
A well-formulated, high-quality parrot pellet should account for 75 percent of its dietary needs. The remaining 25 percent should be fresh fruits and vegetables. Start by offering your bird 1/4 cup of pellets and 1/4 cup of fruits daily. Increase the amount as needed. Nuts and seeds can be given sparingly as training treats.